How I can add myself as a developer for MBF

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I am following instructions in Onboarding New Members doc to setup TFS access to the project in Visual Studio 2010. It kept failing after multiple attempts. CodePlex FAQ states that Team Explorer client can be used only by "a developer or coordinator on a project". Since I am not a registered developer for MBF, access to TFS is denied. What is a process to add me as a developer for MBF, so that I can use my CodePlex credentials to connect to TFS?

thanks.

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Firelake,

Thanks for joining us on the MBF boards.  

We are anticipating a V1 release early this summer and we feel it is very important that we deliver a solid foundation for creating biological codes.  As such, we are taking it slowly in enabling people unknown to us to make direct contributions to the source control servers.  This is our first attempt at open source community code, and while we don’t have all the policies and practices nailed down yet, we do want to ensure that MBF sees steady forward improvements in robustness, reliability, performance, and capabilities. 

For you and anyone else reading this thread, we do expect to be broadening the list of contributors over time.  To be considered for a development role, I encourage you to first join the community in discussions and suggestions for how to build applications on top of MBF.  Download the SDK and use MBF to create one or more interesting and useful tools.  Create a linked CodePlex project or even submit it to the MBF group for inclusion as a Demo program.  It might be helpful to engage others in the group to assist in creating that tool or  solving some specific problem.  You could also download the MBF sources and with the tool building experience, make suggestions how MBF can be made easier and more productive to use, or point out functionality that is missing and should be added to make yourself and others more effective developers or biologists, or point out areas where performance can be improved.    With the growth rate of biological data today, we will _always_ be looking to improve performance!!!  The key is to help us get to know one another.

Anyhow, I don’t mean to put you off before we have gotten to know one another, but as is described in the CodePlex FAQ, please give us a chance to get to know you.

-rid-

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I also should point out you don't need to enlist to download the sources as a ZIP file.  Go to the right side of the Source Code tab and click the Download link under Latest Version and you should get a complete, current snapshot of the tree.

-rid-

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I'd like to address this issue as well.

First, we should have been clearer about the differences between being a consumer and being a contributer to the MBF Project.  The source code is here and will continue to be developed "in the open" by the exisitng Microsoft development team and small number of external contributers during the Beta timeframe.  We are not actively seeking other contributors during this time, as we want to make sure we establish a good development process before opening up contributions to a wider audience.

Once we have released Version 1.0 of MBF, we expect to have a much greater number of external contributors that will continue to grow.  We are targeted in the end of June, 2010 for this release.  Until then, we are also establishing a clear set of guidelines for those who wish to contribute and how to go about becoming a contributor.  We don't wish to be heavy handed with this approach, but we feel there is a certain amount of oversight we must have in order to maintain a high quality bar and stability of the code.

The Onboarding document was written specifically for those granted Contribution rights, so it is quite understandable that this caused confusion for folks trying to gain access to the source code.  For most folks interested in developing with the code, the best way to get involved is to use the CodePlex Client or Tortoise SVN client to sync to the code.  The codeplex FAQ page provides guidance on how to use these tools (http://codeplex.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Source%20control%20clients&referringTitle=CodePlex%20FAQ). 

I will make sure to update the Onboarding document to address this issue, and want to thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Z